Sunday, January 31, 2010

Whistler Part II: The Olympics Edition




Its been just over two weeks since my return to Canada, and just under two weeks since I arrived in Whistler, to stay. For those who didn't hear, the winter Olympics are being hosted in Vancouver and Whistler this year. I decided to volunteer during the games, so here I am. What a whirlwind to go from India to Whistler - these worlds couldn't be farther apart. It all feels strange and so much has happened in the last few days. And for those who don't know, I spent a season here in Whistler five years ago, where I did a lot of skiing, underage drinking and having fun with Brittany.

First things first. I am living with my Aunt Jeanette and Uncle Dave, my Aunt Maribeth and two delightful cats Duffy and Willow. We are a happy bunch living in Blueberry! The living situation couldn't be better, I am having an awesome time being with my family. Its so great to live with them.

Last Monday I started my volunteer gig with the Olympics. I am working in a suit that makes me look like a blueberry, or a smurfette, and I am working in the Athlete's Village. This is the area near Function Junction that has been built to house the athletes, coaches, delegates, etc, who are here during the games. They really have done a spectacular job with the space. What I get to do is work in the 'play' spaces VANOC has designed for the guests. There is a DVD lounge, a gym facitily, a games room (with pool, foosball, etc) and a videogames room. Apparently once people start arriving, I will be helping out in those spaces. Right now, the supervisors seem to be looking for jobs for us to do, things are still taking shape and much of the work they have us doing is strange. For example, I took inventory of a gym, put up christmas lights, steam ironed giant banners, and was asked the other day to test out all of the Nintendo units they have set up. Its pretty hard work. The people I am working with are from all over; some are kids from abroad out doing a season, lots of people are up from Vancouver and then there are Canadians who have come out especially for the games - like me.
I have procured some employment and whether or not it is gainful is yet to be seen. Starting on Tuesday I'll be working at Peak Performance Physio and Massage Clinic. Job hunting before was not fun. I hate job hunting more than I hate bad hair - I find it demoralizing and a waste of paper. But I was really happy that things shaped up so easily for me.
And then there is Whistler. It felt really strange to walk the streets here again. For me personally, the thrill is certainly not the same as it was 5 years ago, but the town is buzzing with Olympic giddiness. I've been up the mountain only once, and it felt great to get back to on the old skiis, but man alive, is this town expensive. I have only one ticket, and I am saving it for a beautiful day. I think I might go x-country as it is a little more affordable. In the meantime, I am trying (and not doing too badly) to make my limited cash go as far as possible. This is a challenge. Its especially hard because this is a place people come to spend money. It is mountain vacation location at its finest, and here I am trying to scrimp and save. Its also amplified considering just over two weeks ago I was traipsing through a developing country, where things are not only wildly inexpensive, but people don't live like they live here. There is such astonishing oppulance here, and an incredible lifestyle that it makes India feel even farther away - I have to work to remember that it exists because Whistler is a bubble.

Some highlights of the past two weeks include: being with my Aunties. Seeing Kendall and Anne Drysdale for drinks in the village. Making cookies for the church bake sale to raise money for Haiti. cheese fondue and playing wizard with Bill, Judy, Dave, MB and Jeanette. Access to a hot tub.
In sum, I clearly lead an exciting life here. Once more things happen I'll be sure to keep posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment