Thursday, January 21, 2010

Toronto: Home Sweet... Time to Leave again





Everytime I went through security in India, I was stopped because of two things: My harmonica necklace that Selka gave me, and my tattoos, which were often mistaken for 'stickers'. I thought this was a quirky aspect of India. But as I went through security at the Toronto Pearson Airport to get my flight to Vancouver, what were the two topics of interest at Security? You guessed it: My harmonica necklace and my tattoos. The only difference here was that they didn't mistake the tattoo for a sticker. Maybe its a security thing in general and has nothing to do with quirky India.

So, Yes, I finally made it back to Canada. The few days I spent in Toronto were packed with the special people I love and adore. It was really awesome to spend time with my Dad and Alex, eating pizza and having some beer. Both Brittany Pearson and Sarah Weinberger showed at my door for a quick visit. Markian played a starring role in the show that is "Ellie returns to Toronto". We ran around Toronto, went to the Kind Tut exhibit at the AGO, had some snacks and a beer and were generally romantic all over the city. I also got a chance to have some drinks and snacks with Vanessa and Kaleb, and also Selka and I had a mini Christmas over gin and soda at Ronnie's Local. This made me realize that it is the people that makes me miss a place. I didn't miss Toronto so much as I missed my amazing friends. It felt really wonderful to reconnect with the people I love. And yet, here I go and rip myself out of the place I love only to start a new adventure...

Now that the India chapter is officially closed the next chapter has started. The tentative title of this chapter is: Whistler, Part II; the grown up edition. For those of you who don't know, I used to live in Whistler. I spent a season here after high school; this was my first time out of home. So to paint you a picture the year included some debauchery, lots of excitement and shinanagans as well as some pretty grimey living conditions in Staff Housing. This time around things are different. I am living with my Aunt Jeanette, Uncle Dave, Aunt MB, and the cats, Duffy and Willow. I have a lovely little room at the back of the house, access to the internet and a kitchen to play in! I couldn't ask for anything more! I am really excited about having some time with my family here. And then there is the main draw: The 2010Vancouver Olympics. Wow.

This morning I went to pick up my accreditation and uniform. The accreditation gets me into venues and the uniform is... blue! Its pretty exciting. VANOC also gave me two tickets to a ski jumping event, which is pretty awesome. I am really looking forward to that. As for what I am doing day to day remains to be seen. I need to figure that out either by re-reading my e-mails more closely, or simply waiting. Perhaps a combo of the two will provide some real answers. In the meantime, I am going to take a walk in my old stomping ground. There are tents everywhere, and a real presence of the Olympics in every corner of the village. Its exciting to feel the buzz, which I suppose will only grow.

So, I know the exoticism of India is lost, but I hope that the Olympics have a pull to keep reading. And now with better Internet connections, I'll be sure to put up more pictures (on current posts and on some old ones!). Do keep reading and commenting.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment